Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Showstoppers!

  IMG_0311

As usual, when the new MPO calendar comes out, I scan through for performances that I think my parents will like, and squeeze in performances when I go down to KL (alone or I’ll beg somebody to come along with me LOL!).

So among the list of performances I wanted to go for, this was one of it as they were gonna perform Broadway songs - and it was awesome!!

Stephen Rahman-Hughes is a good entertainer (and dancer!) and included the audience. Its always more fun when you get a response from the audience instead of the usual one-way communication..hehe..

Stephen currently performs with his vocal group Teatro (which is Italian for theater)

The show was really good, and Stephen was quite the entertainer. Occasionally cracking jokes and poking fun at himself…hehe.. The orchestra was brilliant, as usual! :D I especially enjoyed the selections for orchestra from My Fair Lady and The Sound of Music. :D I felt like I was floating! On cloud 9 perhaps ;)

 Stephen Rahman Hughes 1

Both Stephen and John had great chemistry, they were joking around and Stephen claimed that the glittery purple shoes he was wearing was John’s! John is so far my fave conductor, and the first MPO concert I went for was conducted by him. It was 2007’s annual New Year’s Concert (old post here) and it was fun because he always tried to include the audience, for example clapping along to the music. In this performance we were asked to sing ‘Luck Be a Lady’ at certain points of the song :)

I’m pretty sure all the ladies were swooning over him and wondered if the men felt insecure for a while :P But I think everyone wanted to be ‘Maria’ (from West Side story) for that night ;)

They made us work for it, but it was totally worth it as they did perform 2 songs for the encore; Can You Feel The Love Tonight and Luck Be A Lady (after more screaming and applause) . I heard from a friend that on the 1st show on Friday he performed 3 songs for the encore, singing Over The Rainbow. They were supposed to perform ‘Memories’ from Cats but someone forgot to send over the sheet music from London…hmm…

Pics taken during the autograph session:

  IMG_0315 So cute! :P

IMG_0316

He asked me if I was from KL, and I explained how that we’re from Ipoh and love MPO so much that we come down so often.. And then it hit me.. Did he ask me that because I look foreign? Or because I look Like I could be from KL but cannot be confirmed? Hahaha... Anyway we have something in common which is that we are often identified wrongly, as he has been cast as an Indian or Puerto Rican, and people think that I m Thai/Indonesian/Malay/ceylonese(!!!) LOL….that’s what you have to deal with when you’re of mixed parentage!

Article in the New Straits Times (they had a press conference!):  IMG_0344  IMG_0341 IMG_0342 IMG_0343

IMG_0380

Autographed program booklet and ticket :D

 

Someday I’ll watch a Broadway play live! West Side Story is coming to Malaysia but tickets are so expensive!! :S

Until then I’ll replay this performance in my head ;)

Just in case you don’t believe me, here’s evidence I was there :P

IMG_0431

1 comment:

myownstoryasitis said...

pb...belanja west side story pretty plz ;)