Saturday, March 13, 2010

Books!!

Now I’m not a nerd, but I do love to read. I used to read a lot when I was younger (ahem ahem) and had lots of free time (ahem ahem). Sometimes when I find a really good book I can just sit for hours and finish off the whole book. One sitting! Nowadays my concentration has reduced thanks to countless hours of watching all those TV Series…hmmm…

Here’s a few of my latest reads:

 

IMG_0302

Hugh Laurie’s The Gun Seller (You know, that ruggedly handsome lead actor from that TV Series House MD). Written in 1996. He actually wanted it to be published under a different name but his publisher said ‘Do you know how hard it is to sell a book as it is??’ Hehe…pretty good, its a spy thriller, very British, very descriptive (but not too much). Very witty and would make a great movie if done properly! :)

IMG_0308Stephen Clarke’s Merde Actually. I’ve read Merde Happens (which is a sequel to this book) and Talk to the Snail, essentially a survivor's guide to the French language and the French themselves. Read this book and you’ll be prepared to go to France. IMG_0306

What? They were on sale! Haha!

1. Nigella Lawson’s fifth, Feast Food That Celebrates Life has tons of mouth-watering recipes which I would love to try out when I have a decent kitchen!! Also so many nice pics of the food! And even organized by meal types! eg. Sunday lunch. Very English. Maybe I’ll start with the chocolate cakes first for now :D

2. Kickboxing because I need to work out & know self-defence, and also cause it was super cheap! :P Just started reading about the intro..don’t wanna get hurt by immediately kicking away! hehe.

3. Tuesdays With Morrie by Mitch Albom shouldn’t need any introduction, but is one of those books which inspire you. Have A Little Faith is another very good read which is his latest book.

4. Who’s That Girl? by Alexandra Potter because it sounds interesting (although there are quite a few novels out there about very successful women who are extremely busy and have odd experiences…hmmm…) and I read her previous book Me and Mr Darcy and liked it (because im a hopeless romantic). In case you didn’t know, Mr Darcy is the archetype of the aloof romantic hero, and a romantic interest of Elizabeth Bennet, the novel's main protagonist in Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice. If you’re too lazy to read the book (which has a widely quoted first line), watch the BBC adaptation of the novel starring Colin Firth. But it’s always better to read the book :P Anyway a nice read, but also some similarities with Sophie Kinsella’s Remember Me?.

Time to curl up in bed with a good book! :)

No comments: