Friday, August 31, 2007

50 years of Independence...

...doesn't really mean much to me. Mainly because I don't really know what it was like to be ruled by the British. Sometimes it makes me wonder what it would be like if we are still ruled by the British. Probably won't have this much food around. Hahaha..anyway I spent Merdeka eve reading blogs on Malaysian politics n stuff on Nathaniel Tan's blog and Marina Mahathir's blog. There are so many things happening in our country and somehow the important ones escape attention. I've said this many times before that I hate poltics. Mainly because it's such a stupid thing. All people want nowadays are power and money. NOthing else matters anymore. And then we get all the so-called leaders who say dumb things, mainly because they're not-very-educated. Honestly. Seriously. We have the keris-waving leader, and the blogger-catching leaders to the if-you-don't-like-it-then-get-out-of-Malaysia leader. We wonder what's happening to the world when in our own country these leaders are a wonder in their own right. I'm pretty sure if you ask around most people would jump at the opportunity to migrate. It's not that our country sucks, its a beautiful country. But what pisses us off is the fact that we have terrible leaders. Not to say that the grass is super green on the other side, other countries have their issues too, but I think their leaders are not this dumb. The one thing that makes us special and makes us proud of ourselves is the fact that we are multi-racial. But somehow this is now our dividing factor. Everything now boils down to your race, and even more, religion. Nobody is safe anymore. The constitution has been twisted, leaders are becoming more religious (not a bad thing if they weren't so hardcore freaky creepy everyone-must-wear-tudung kind of people).

But then again, maybe we get lousy leaders because the people who actually should be leaders stay away from politics because well, basically, politics suck. Even if you start off with good intentions you end up sucked into the political vortex and before you even realize it, you're in too deep.

If only leaders would do what they're supposed to do. Like increase growth, development and so on. I guess their life is so boring that they have to go into corruption, or make the longest satay or biggest mooncake or something like that.

Not many people do things to make others happy anymore. Most do what they do because of what they get out of it, which is not wrong, but is it really satisfactory?

I can only hope someday I can do something to change the things around me, if not the world.

Oh my, I've been ranting again.

Happy Merdeka people!
50 years, don't play play!

No comments: